An Underage Drinking charge can be very serious and damaging to your personal and professional life. The State of Minnesota is a stickler on this issue – proclaiming itself a “zero tolerance” state. As such, even trace amounts of alcohol found in the system of someone under the age of 21 can result in criminal penalties. And, the consequences increase if the accused was operating a motor vehicle at the time of his or her arrest. Having a Twin Cities Criminal Defense Lawyer on your side will protect your rights as well as your criminal and driving record.

Underage Drinking and Driving

Minnesota also has something called Vanessa’s Law – it applies to minors under the age of 18 who are accused of drinking and driving – and/or other alcohol-related offenses like open bottle. Violating Vanessa’s Law includes a variety of consequences including a prohibition on getting one’s permit or driver’s license until the age of 18. Also, if a minor gets a crash-related moving violation and/or an alcohol/controlled substance ticket, in addition to not being able to regain their license to drive, he or she will also have to complete the classroom portion of a driver education course, pay a full re-instatement fee, obtain and hold a permit for three months and then be required to re-pass the driver’s license knowledge test.

If the minor is over the age of 18, but not quite yet 21, Minnesota’s Not a Drop Law – much like Vanessa’s Law – can lead to some very harsh penalties, including: the revocation of a driver’s license for 30 days or more, limitations being placed on the violators license (when re-instated) and additional fees.

Free Criminal Case Consultation

Due to the fact that Vanessa’s law, the Not a Drop law, and other underage drinking laws are very complicated – it is important to hire an experienced Minneapolis Criminal Defense Attorney. I am well versed in the laws that apply to those who are accused of Underage Drinking and will work to ensure that your rights are protected. I represent individuals accused of Underage Drinking – in the Twin Cities and throughout Minnesota. If you or someone you love has been charged with a crime, don’t wait. Call me today at 612.234.1165 or fill out the form below. Then, we can take the time to discuss your case and determine how I can help to defend your rights and fight for you in court – all at a cost that won’t break the bank.

Your Name

Your Email

Your Phone

Your Issue

Type the letters above here: